Built in 1954, this object is still standing on the Parallelweg-West in Vlijmen in the year 2020. A street name, incidentally, that has its origins in the “Halve Zolen” Railway line. The gas pump housing had several functions. This way the gas pressure could be regulated and it served as a measuring station. Already in 1966 a new pump house was built directly behind this building, because the technology was rapidly renewed and the use of gas increased sharply at that time. The sober appearance of the new pump housing unintentionally emphasizes the architectural value of this older pump housing.
The gas pump house from 1954 was built with an eye for architectural details, when we consider that it only had to be a functional roof above a gas installation. The wild bond/freebond masonry is finished at the top of the facades with a decorative brickwork roll layer executed in slanting segments. The frames were modern at that time with steel T profiles and single glass that is held in place by putty. Architects from that time wanted as much glass as possible and as inconspicuous and narrow frames as possible. The technique is no longer used due to the poor insulating effect. The pyramid roof, covered with dark gray Dutch tiles, has a brick chimney at the top.