On a busy main street in a medium-sized town, stands the gatehouse (built in 1925) with a beautiful facade. The original gatehouse and office space have been converted into living space.
The property has no less than three house numbers. Behind one of those house numbers has always been a modest living space. Once through the gate of the building, there was a courtyard that can best be described as small factory grounds, where a variety of activities took place.
In several areas, small warehouses and workshops, which were situated around the courtyard were numerous companies, mostly small in size. Examples include a sock factory, dairy and livery stable. With certainty a garage was also established there for a while.
The facade is made of brick bond with some details like decorative brickwork. The side walls consist entirely of brick bond brickwork. For the blind side wall a typical Belgian slate cladding in diamond coverage is optional.
The rear of the building is completely gray stucco. This plastering was done at the time, mostly for two reasons. Namely if the masonry was of poor quality, or if the façade had to contend with moisture problems. White plastered walls in the tunnel made the space less oppressive. With a solid gate in the tunnel the backyard was simply closed.
The chimneys on the roof are in reality by the introduction of CV not all present anymore.
Color options gateway building: