On a busy main street in a medium-sized town, stands the gatehouse (built in 1925) with a beautiful facade. The original gatehouse and office space has been converted into living space.
The property has no less than three house numbers. Behind one of those house numbers has always been a modest living space. Once through the gate of the building, there was a courtyard that can best be described as small factory grounds, where a variety of activities took place. In several areas, small warehouses and workshops, which were situated around the courtyard were numerous companies, mostly small in size. Examples include a sock factory, dairy and livery stable. With certainty a garage was also established there for a while.
This factory from the early 1900s has housed numerous companies and also has been through some renovations. For example, in 1913 a building permit was requested for placing the installation of an extra door with frame. In 1920 they asked for permission to build a garage, and in 1922 a permit was requested for the establishment of a dairy.
The basic form of the building remained the same throughout the decades. Currently an electrician uses the building for his business and storage.
The facade is made of brick bond with some details, like decorative brickwork. The side walls consist entirely of brick bond brickwork. For the blind side wall a typical Belgian slate cladding in diamond coverage is optional.
The rear of the building is completely gray stucco. This plastering was done at the time, mostly for two reasons. Namely if the masonry was of poor quality, or if the façade had to contend with moisture problems. White plastered walls in the tunnel made the space less oppressive. With a solid gate in the tunnel the backyard was simply closed.
The chimneys on the roof are in reality by the introduction of CV not all present anymore.
At the factory, a few windows in the walls, but especially the glass in the sawtooth roofs provided daylight.
The building consists of one floor and the walls in the front were equipped with decorative stonework. The long rear was of simpler design, but is equipped with buttresses. These buttresses do indeed form part of the structure, a structure that can be described as repetitive.
Over the years, some windows were bricked or boarded up. Due to the way that's done, it is still visible where the windows have been in the past.
Color options gateway building: