The Roundhouse of Roosendaal (Dutch town) was built around 1907 next to the Bosstraat. The Roundhouse was built in segments. At the right side (seen from the turntable) were offices, storage space and the workers entrance at the back of the segment. The other 8 segments were built to shelter steam engines like the series 3700, 3800 en 4400. There was always a possibility on the left side to expand with more places for locomotives. That is also the reason that the left and right side wall differ of appearance.
After the construction of the Roundhouse there were other sheds built for the maintenance of locomotives. The straight shed is the best known, partly because this shed has survived up to now. The Roundhouse was demolished late '50s.
The Roundhouse of Roosendaal consists of a steel frame structure with steel window frames. The glass was deployed using putty. The entire construction method was modern in those days.The exterior walls consisted of stretcher bond in the steel skeleton. That is why it is possible to see the steel skeleton both inside and outside. This method of construction was however chosen for another reason. The advantage is that the masonry only need to be self-supporting so they could save on English bond by stretcher bond walls.
To our knowledge, no other Roundhouse to this type was built. This also means that the remaining straight engine shed in Roosendaal is most similar with the now demolished Roundhouse. However, the straight shed is larger than the Roundhouse has ever been.
More dimensions are shown in a drawing that can be downloaded below. (See attachments)